What’s the difference between a website and webpage? The two are similar and hence used interchangeably. However, there’re differences between them! Let’s make a difference between website and webpage with a general example. Consider a book as a website.
The book contains several single pages with unique page numbers, which can be referred to as the webpages with unique URLs. Aside from this example, we can understand the difference between a website and webpage using our website. Here, the domain https://www.deworldinsights.com is a website, whereas the page we are currently reading [https://www.deworldinsights.com/website and webpage difference] is a webpage.
Technically, a webpage is nothing but just a specific page of a website. Read more to get the in-depth difference between website and webpage. Hence, in this article, we outlined the main differences between website and webpage. “website vs webpage”. Let’s get the definition of each term and then, compare and contrast. Earlier on, we made comparisons between a search engine and web browser, and also a website and a blog, you can check them out!
What Is A Website?
A website is the group of web pages that are placed in a location on the internet under a domain. For example, a company website can have various web pages such as home, about us, contact us, products, services, and others. It is accessible through a web address. The website can be designed using static web pages or dynamic web pages. Contents on a website are globally viewed, remain the same for the different individuals.
A website can be industry-specific, product-specific, or services-specific, etc.; these websites are intended to educate their site visitors about their industry, products, or services information. A website must be hosted on a server at first so that it can be accessed on the internet.
Characteristics Of A Website
- The website is a cluster of different web pages and can include text, media, and other content.
- The website is presented by a unique domain address.
- The website takes more time to develop than a webpage.
- The website is comparatively complex to develop.
What Is A Web Page?
A web page can be defined as a solitary page of a website. When a user wants to access a webpage, it can be accessed by using a single URL, and that page can be copied and shared. Viewing a webpage doesn’t require any navigation, unlike a website. It can contain text, graphics, audio, video, downloadable hyperlink to other pages, etc.
Web browsers are used to display the contents of the webpage by connecting to the server so that the remote files can be displayed. These are created by using a programming language such as HTML, PHP, Python, and Perl, etc. The HTML pages have a simple appearance and are not that interactive but consume less time to load and browse.
There are two types of web page – Static web page and dynamic webpage. In the static web page designing, when a product acquires any change in information, the change must reflect on the website. At that time, a person must incorporate the change on every web page manually, and this is time consuming and tiresome process. Where in the dynamic web page, a central database is used to store the product information.
The database-driven approach, just need the change to be applied in a single place. So that through extracting the relevant information from the particular database, several web pages can be created dynamically that contain this information.
Characteristics Of A Webpage
- Being a part of a website, the web page contains several topics linked to the website.
- Different web pages can use the same name (title name), but they should reside in different documents having different URLs.
- Webpages take less time to be developed as compared to the website.
- The webpage is relatively easy to develop.
Key Differences Between Website And Webpage
- A webpage is an independent part of a website that contains links to other web pages on the website. On the other hand, a website is a collection of relevant web pages that is addressed to a Uniform Resource Locator.
- Each website must have a unique URL whereas multiple web pages can have the same name until they reside in different documents.
- A website is a location used to display the content. In contrast, a webpage is content that is to be displayed on the website.
- A web page URL has an extension like Html, Html, PHP, etc. As against, the website URL doesn’t have any extension.
- Web page address has an integral part of the domain name in it, and it depends upon a website. On the contrary, a website does not have any relation to a web page address.
- Designing and Development of the webpage takes less time as compared to a website as a website contains a lot of web pages.
Major differences between Website And Webpage
The major differences between Website and Webpage can be more clearly explained in a tabulated form, as below:
|Short Definition||A webpage is defined as the smaller part of the website that includes contents like text, media, etc. It also comprises links to many other relevant webpages.||A website is a cluster of different webpages of different topics addressed to certain URLs.|
|File Type||It is a single document that is displayed by the web browser using a specific URL address.||It is a collection of many documents. Web browsers are used to access such documents using specific URL addresses attached to the website.|
|Entity Type||Webpage usually contains content regarding a single entity type.||A website usually contains content regarding several entities.|
|Accessible by||It can be accessed using a direct URL link or through a website.||It can be accessed through a domain address.|
|Characteristic||It is an individual hypertext document linked under a website.||It is a collection of multiple pages hosted on the server.|
|Use||It is used to store the contents or resources that are to be displayed on a website.||It is a place that is used to display the content.|
|Extension||The web page URL includes the extension. i.e., the path of the file.||The website URL does not include any extension.|
|Complexity||It is comparatively less-complex to develop because it is just a smaller part of the website.||It is comparatively more complex to develop.|
|Development time||It requires less time for development as it is not complex, like a website.||It requires comparatively more time for development.|
|Address dependency||The web page address of any specific website directly depends on the website address (domain). This means, if the domain is down, the webpage will not work.||Website address (domain) is independent of webpage address. In case the webpage is deleted due to any reason, the website will continue to work. All other linked webpages will also work as usual.|
|Common Examples||Contact Page, Registration Page, Sign Up Page, About Page, or any other page like this.||Amazon.com, Wikipedia.org, JavaTpoint.com, etc.|