Gadgets and widgets enable you to customize and enhance your blog. Widgets and gadgets are lightweight apps that allow users to interact with other apps or websites. Blogger supports all sorts of widgets and gadgets for your blog, and you don’t need to be a programming guru to add them. You can add them from internal or external sources. Blogger gives access to Gadgets through the same area where you edit the layout of your blog.
As at the time this blog post is been written, there are at least 26 internal Gadgets in the blogger blog. I believe you don’t need all on your blog. Your niche will determine which to use, remember, the more the gadgets and widgets you add, the heavier your blog site. This may affect your blog load time and overall speed.
Here are the 26 internal Gadgets in blogger blog you can choose from:
- AdSense: Earn revenue by displaying relevant ads on your blog.
- Featured post: Highlight a special post on your blog.
- Blog search: Let visitors search your blog.
- Profile: Display information about yourself to your visitors.
- Blog Archive: Make it easy for visitors to navigate your blog with links to older posts.
- Page Header: Display your blog’s title and description.
- Followers: Displays a list of users who follow your blog
- Image: Add an image from your computer, or from somewhere else on the web.
- Labels: Show all the labels of posts in your blog.
- Pages: Display a list of stand-alone pages on your blog.
- Link List: Display a collection of your favorite sites, blogs, or web pages for your visitors.
- Text: Add a text message to your blog.
- Popular Posts: Display a list of the most popular posts from your blog
- Blog’s stats: Display the number of page views to your blog.
- Blog List: Show off what you read with a blog roll of your favorite blogs
- Follow by Email
- Make it easy for visitors to subscribe to email delivery when you publish a post.
- Feed: Add content from an RSS or Atom feed to your blog.
- Logo: Show your Blogger pride by adding a logo to your page.
- Subscription Links: Let your readers easily subscribe to your blog with popular feed readers
- Translate: Let visitors translate your blog into different languages.
- List: Add a list of your favorite books, films, or anything you like.
- Contact Form: Add a contact form to your blog.
- Wikipedia: With this gadget, you can quickly, conveniently, and easily search on Wikipedia for articles or full text.
- Attribution: Display your blog’s attribution data.
- Report Abuse: Report inappropriate content
To access these gadgets, Login to your Blogger account>>Dashboard>>Layout
You’ll see how your blog layout is when you land on the Layout section of your blog. Here, you can add, remove, and edit gadgets on your blog. Click and drag to rearrange gadgets. The Layout tab shows all the elements that make up your blog, including the main “Blog Posts” area as well as the header section and menus, sidebars, etc.
- 6 Types Of Toxic People You Should Avoid at All Costs
- 7 Signs Of A Genuine Friend
- 7 Tips On How To Make People Like You Easily
How To Add Gadgets In Blogger Blog
To add a gadget, Click any blue Add a Gadget button to select a new Gadget
There may be a lot of “Add a Gadget” link in the “Layout” section, so decide which gadget you would like to add to the blog and where it to be first before proceeding to click the link to add a gadget. However, you will be able to reposition or rearrange the gadgets in the layout though.
When you click on the “Add a Gadget” a window will pop up with about 26 gadgets. Scroll down the bar and find the one you want to add and hit the Plus button at the extreme upper right corner of that gadget.
How To Configure Blogger Gadgets
So I hit the “plus” button in the blue square background at the upper right corner of the featured post gadget. A new window pops up for me to configure it, see how I configured it below.
I have ticked, all that I need to show for this particular gadget and I hit the “Save” button at the bottom of it and that is it.
How To Remove A Gadget From Blogger Blog
What if you’ve added a gadget and for some reasons you don’t need it anymore, what will you do? Ofcourse, you will just remove it. To remove a gadget from a blogger blog:
Go to Dashboard>> Layout
Look through the layout of your blog and locate the gadget you would like to remove from the blog. All gadgets have a pencil-like object at the extreme right of it. Clicking on this pencil-like object enables you to either make changes or remove it. So click on this pencil-like object on the gadget you will like to remove and the window will pop up. Go to the bottom and click “Remove“.
A message will pop up at the top of the window asking you whether you are sure to remove the gadget, “Are you sure that you want to remove this page element from your page?” click Ok to remove the gadget.
How To Rearrange Gadgets On Blogger Blog
Blogger makes it very easy for you to rearrange gadgets on your blog. This means that you can lift or drag and drop gadgets from one area to the other. For instance, you can drag and drop a gadget from the sidebar to the bottom or to the top of your blog layout. Note: there are some gadgets that are permanent in their position hence you can’t drag and drop them to a different place. Those gadgets that have the grey bar with five white dots inside it to the left are those that could be drag and dropped.
Another way to know if a gadget can be drag and dropped is when you hover your cursor on it, it changes to square arrows. So you can drag and drop gadgets with this feature anywhere in the layout to your convenience.
Don’t forget to save changes at the bottom right corner of the layout page
That is it, you’re done! Happy blogging!